Sunday, November 21, 2010

Shoo Flu, Don't Bother Me: Fighting Off A Cold

The cold weather is here on the East Coast and it seems that everyone is sick or fighting off a cold.
I've also been fighting a cold, but luckily, I've been putting up a good fight and have yet to be sick.
I used to be sick CONSTANTLY when I was a teacher: I never seemed to get the "teacher immunity" even though I was a germ-o-phobe who constantly washed my hands and taught for 4-5 years.
In the 3 years since I haven't been a Pre-School teacher, I rarely get sick (Maybe 1-3 times a year).

Here are my tips and tricks to prevent and fight a cold:

1.  Nasal Spray:  When I'm in a really dirty/dusty area, I'll always use a Nasal Spray to clean out my sinuses.  I also use the Nasal Spray at the first signs of a cold.  I usually use the Nasal Spray for a few days or until I don't feel sick anymore.
2.  Salt Water: 
I always gargle with salt water when I start feeling sick and when my throat gets scratchy. 
Sometimes when I'm right on the verge of getting sick and I gargle with salt water, I'll actually spit out phlegm (It's Gross, but it gets the bad stuff out!)
I usually just mix a lot of Kosher salt with warm water. Probably about 3-4 Tbsp/ Cup of water.
Make sure there's enough salt in the cup  so the water is really salty. Gargle 2-3 times a day



3. Drink Tea, Lemon, Honey:
I always drink Green/White Tea mixed with a slice of lemon and honey. I add even more lemon and honey when I'm getting sick. It warms you up, gives you a dose of Vitamin C, and the Honey is really soothing to a scratchy throat. And it tastes delicious!

4.  Emergen-C:   
I only started taking Emergen-C this summer, but it's become an important part of my cold-fighting arsenal.  I usually hate fizzy,powdered drinks (I cannot drink "Airborne").  I had a super value pack of 80 packets of Tangerine and Raspberry.  The first time I drank it, it was really hard to drink the whole cup.
- Instead of taking the packet and mixing with a cup of water, I decided to mix it with about a 1/4 of a glass so there's less to drink.  Problem solved!
Now, I just empty a packet into a small water bottle with about 1-2 shot glass fulls of water and drink. So much quicker and easier to drink!

5.  Cold Medicine:
I don't like taking medicine so I'll only really take day-time cold medicine if I'm actually sick, have some bad symptoms (coughing, stuffy nose), and need it to get through the day. 
Most of the time, I'll just take a night-time formula at night when I start feeling sick or get sick. 
- I usually use the generic Target  "Up & Up" brand in the day/night pack.  It usually helps me to get a good night's sleep, but make sure you don't take it too late at night because it can make me a little groggy in the morning. I like the caplets and softgels.
- Comtrex is also pretty hard core cold/flu-fighting medicine.

6.  Halls Defense Vitamin C:
I always carry these around. They're sweet, come in 3 flavors (Lemon, Orange, and my favorite Sweet Grapefruit), and gives you 100% of the daily dose of Vitamin C.  I always buy the economy packs.

7.  Cough Drops:
I always carry around Ricola The Original Natural Herb Cough Drops (the ones that are square-shaped).  They do a good job of soothing a scratchy throat, coughing, and hoarseness.  They are good for people who don't like fruity flavors.
- For really bad coughs/sore throats, I use Cepacol.  This is pretty hard core stuff.
- I also love Ludens (but that's more like candy and I just like it because it reminds me of when I was young)



So... that is my cold-fighting aresenal.  I think it's a pretty good one.  Hope it works for you, too!


Stay warm, Stay happy, Stay healthy!



*~ Have a Beautiful Day! ~*

2 comments:

  1. I love the tea, lemon and honey! I also take a probiotic called Vidazorb too and so do our kids to help boost our immunities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa (ninjiom-hk.cwahi.net) may be another choice. i know alot of people use it, its also non alcoholic, though it's effectiveness is not as good as alcohol based cough medicine, but it's still good to use on not so serious scratchy throat.

    ReplyDelete